Just about the time when we thought that the current messaging services are as stable as they can get, we are proven wrong. Just like text messaging has become old-fashioned with the commencement of smartphones and social media networks, exactly like that the social media messaging services have slowly started to become a thing in the past. You heard me, with the advent of messaging services like Kik for PC; social media messaging services like WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, and Instagram Dm will go through the same fate which the traditional text messaging services have suffered. In the era of technological advances and a rapidly changing era, it is a pre-requisite to keep up with these changes before you find yourself lagging behind other people.
What is Kik Messenger?
Kik Messenger is an instant messaging app developed by Kik Interactive, a Canadian company and was released in October 2010. This application uses your mobile’s data connection to the Wi-Fi connection to send text messages, share pictures and videos and webpage to anyone who has a Kik account. It allows you to connect with your friends by using their mobile numbers, usernames or by scanning the kikcodes.
And although it is very similar to WhatsApp and Viber, it has some additional features which make it popular among people of all ages. One of such features is anonymity. While users have to give their mobile numbers in order to register for other social media accounts, Kik doesn’t ask you to do that. You can create your account on Kik just by registering your email. Choose the username that you like and you’re good to go.
Why Kik for PC?
Kik is the best application to not only share unlimited text messages but to share videos, emojis, gifs, sketches with more than one person at a time, that is, Kik allows group chats as well. Everyone loves to use this app, kids and adults alike, mostly because of its easy to use interface. Some other specific features of Kik are—
- Access Web from the application: This is probably one of the best features of Kik, it allows you to access the web within the application. Now you don’t need to open another chrome tab while chatting.
- Privacy: It is the most important feature we look for before using any new service and you won’t be disappointed to know that it is the user who decides whether the application can access their address book to add your contacts to the chat list.
Also, Kik allows you to block any user you want to.
- Profile Integration: You have your own profile and your username; change the profile picture and set the contact details as per your choice and comfort.
- Chat list: Like any other smartphone, messaging app Kik keeps all the people you chat with, in an organized list form, just click on the name of the person to start the chat.
- Live Typing: Kik allows you to see whether the person you are chatting with is typing or not, whether you can expect a reply from them. It also allows you to see the delivery status of your text.
- Chat customization: You don’t like the by-default color of the chat bubble? Then go to the settings option, click on the chat settings tab and change the color of the chat bubble to your favorite color and enjoy texting.
- Notifications: You receive notifications whenever you send or receive messages just like other messaging applications. You can change the sound of the notifications in the settings
- Multimedia messages: Not just text messages, but you can also send images, videos, gifs, emojis, and sketches without any problems.
- Group Chats: Kik messenger gives you the feature of group chatting as well. Create your own group by clicking on the search icon and then on create a group option, give it a name and start chatting. Also, you can search for any group of your interest and ask to be added to them and chat.
- Video Chats: You don’t need to download other video chatting apps such as Skype or FaceTime; Kik Messenger provides you the option of video chatting as well.
- Invite Friends: Inviting your friends becomes easy when you send the invites by email, text messages or via other social media accounts.
- Kik Code: Kik users have their own personal and unique Kik code; it can be found on the settings tab of the app, you can add a user from their Kik code as well. To do that, tap on the search icon, then on the ‘Find people’ option and then click on the option ‘Scan a Kik Code’ to continue.
- Bot Shop: This is one of the other amazing features of Kik Messaging; you can have fun with the Kik’s bots as well. Well, if none of your friends are online then you can chat with the Kik bot, play games with it, get the latest news right there in the app and do many other activities with it.
Kik Messenger for Windows PC
There are three ways to Download Kik for PC and all the methods are described in detail below:
Kik Messenger was originally made for Android and iOS so in order to download it for PC, you need to download an Android Emulator. It is an application which allows you to use android mobile applications on computers.
Step 1: The first step to download Kik messenger on PC is to download an Android Emulator. The recommended Emulator is Bluestacks.
Step 2: Install the emulator on your PC as soon as the downloading is done.
Step 3: In the search tab of the application, type ‘Kik Messenger’.
Step 4: Click on the install button once you find it.
Step 5: Run the application, create an account and start chatting.
2.Chrome Extension Method
The Google Chrome Extension is a software developed by the Google Chrome Browser. It is very lightweight and easy to use the extension. But to use the extension for Kik messenger you need to download it first. You can use this method to download the application if you don’t want to download any external applications. Follow the steps given below to download the extension.
Step 1: Open the Google Chrome app on your PC and type ‘Chrome extension for Kik’ and press enter.
Step 2: From the list of results Google gives you, click on the first link.
Step 3: A new page will appear on your screen, on this page click on the ‘Add to Chrome” button. Clicking on this button will install Kik on your computer.
Leapdroid is an android emulator which allows installation of Kik Messenger. The major difference between Leapdroid and other android emulators is that Leapdroid allows you to play games and benefit from applications in a clearer resolution.
Step 1: Download Leapdroid
Step 2: Once the downloading is complete, let the file install, it is a large file and would need time to install.
Step 3: Just double click on the Play store, you will be asked to enter your email id, put it in and search for Kik Messenger in the search tab.
Step 4: Download the application just like you would download any other application, install it and you are good to go.
Now you know all the amazing features that Kik Online gives you and the ways to download the messenger on your PC. But remember if not used with precautions than the advantageous Technology can turn into a bane to the existence of humanity.
I am Maya, the author and founder of this blog. I want to place before you my personal experience using the Kik PC messenger app. Being a woman in my 40's I have not just expressed my thoughts but most probably it's the voice of the younger generation.